Monday, September 20, 2010

The Fair As a Toy World

I received my new Olympus EPL-1 this week, and have been having fun with the "Diorama" "Art Filter" (more often known as "tilt-shift effect," after the "tilt-shift" lens used to invent and create many of the images). The effect, for me, is done digitally in camera and is a fun way to play with the effect without buying the extremely expensive lenses, or spend long hours, or at least minutes, tweaking images in Photoshop. When used really well it will make real life look like a miniature model. In a sense the Fair is, really, a miniature world of fun and games. And I took these photos to highlight that perspective on the fair.

I'm still learning how to effectively create this effect, but I had fun and thought I'd submit my efforts for the assignment this week.

A higher vantage point seems especially necessary

I think daytime worked better than night, but both are interesting, and have a kind of magical feel to them.

And another photo of the fun and games, below, but without any art filters... Pippi the clown and her Pterodactyl friend were sufficiently colorful and fun-loving to carry the message.


4 comments:

  1. These are pretty cool......I think the higher vantage point helps create the illusion that we are standing above a miniature scene.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like those tin toys that we had at the dessert last year. Very cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm lovin that tilt-shift effect! Way cool!

    ReplyDelete