Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Metaphors or Something

So here's what I was able to pull together for the metaphor assignment:

1. A locked box is about privacy, security, and secrecy. This lock highlights this because it's next to other boxes and locks of the same type. The focus on the near lock feels intimate increasing the implied tension since we don't know what is inside.

2. This photograph speaks to me about the tension between the pragmatic practical street-sign side of our lives, and the spiritual/mystical reality of existence. What is that angel/demon/creature in flames that is blurry in the foreground? We don't know for sure, but that doesn't make it any easier to ignore.

3. Perspective can play with our minds. Rather than some specific meaning here, I see the potential for the mind to bend and create meanings, many of them hopefully... why? Because it's fun.

4. This image is not so complicated but it still speaks to me. It means: industrial, steel, German, North, winter, efficiency, engineering, cold... but all as impressions, no explicit symbolism here.

5. This photograph is the opposite of the one above. It means: summer, South, history, church, humanity, light, warmth. But it's not as simple, because the little spikes are almost industrial, and the overall repetition is also industrial, efficient, and engineered. Still, I think this photograph reminds me of the Mediterranean somehow.


3 comments:

  1. I like all these photos quite a but, but the first one is my personal favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job Peter! It is clear that you are really thinking about each image and its meaning.
    The last two speak to me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. Anyone else notice the +'s an d -'s in the last two? Once I noticed them I suspect some of that contrast and even the way I developed them (turning the minuses cooler than it looked in reality) came from the subliminal recognition of that positive/negative symbolism.

    ReplyDelete